Lounge Psychédélique 2xLP - (The Best of Lounge & Exotica 1954-2022)
Distributed titles: Curated releases and exclusive color-ways from other great soundtrack labels from around the world.
Compiled by Spencer Hickman & Mark McQuillan for Two-Piers ‘Lounge Psychédélique’ takes you on a journey into the world of Lounge, Exotica and Space Age Bachelor Pad Music, from its early days in the 1950s and 1960s to the current crop of artists championing the Lounge & Exotica sounds today. Mondo exclusive on Pink vinyl.
|Label||Two Piers Records|
|Packaging details||Mondo Exclusive jacket color|
‘Lounge Psychédélique (The Best of Lounge & Exotica 1954-2022)’ is the third instalment in the Psychédélique Compilation series on Two-Piers, following the critically acclaimed ‘Pop Psychédélique (The Best of French Psychedelic Pop 1964-2019)’ and ‘Garage Psychédélique (The Best of Garage Psych and Pzyk Rock 1965-2019)’.
Curated and compiled by Spencer Hickman (Mondo/Death Waltz Recording Co.) & Mark McQuillan (Republic Of Music) ‘Lounge Psychédélique’ brings together the sounds of Easy Listening, Soundtrack Instrumentals, Exotica, Jazz, Psychedelic, and Space Age sounds all under the umbrella of Lounge Music. The compilation includes legends of the Lounge and Exotica scene, such as Martin Denny, Yma Sumac, Mel Tormé, Herb Alpert, and Les Baxter, alongside legendary composers Hugo Montenegro, Lalo Schifrin, Michael Giacchino. Add some Lounge Jazz from Cal Tjader and the Latin Bossa Nova of Quincy Jones. Then throw in some beautiful oddities from Leonard Nimoy, Pizzicato Five and Mort Garson. Next, mix in some Lounge-Mod moments from Dave Pike and Jack Trombey, KPM library classics from Alan Hawkshaw and Keith Mansfield, and finish with some brilliant modern-day exponents of the Exotica sound Los Bitchos, Ixtaheule and the Percussive Funk Moog party sounds of The Bongolian. The result is a fun and crazy ride through the world of Lounge Music which will bring a smile to your face and a spring to your step. So raise a cocktail glass to ‘Lounge Psychédélique (The Best of Lounge & Exotica 1954-2022) – a sheer joy from start to finish!
‘Lounge Psychédélique’ isn’t meant to be a ‘crate diggers’ album or a compilation of obscure, hard-to-find tracks to outdo your mates. Instead, it is intended to celebrate the Lounge scene and, hopefully, the perfect introduction to this fantastic and beautiful music for any newcomers out there. So let your journey into Lounge and Exotica begin here….
“Last summer I was sitting with Spencer and several tiki drinks into the evening, we began to dream about the kind of albums we’d love to see in the world. Our discussion led to the idea of a compilation LP that would include all of our favorite lounge music and serve as a soundtrack for evenings just like the one we were currently enjoying. As Spencer and Mark slowly but surely willed this into existence, I was thrilled that Two-Piers had included Sidereal Day:3 from our Travelogue Vol 1 collaboration. It makes me smile that it sits amongst some of the grooviest tracks that you can sip mai tais too. A dream come true. Cheers!” - Michael Giacchino
- Leonard Nimoy - Music to Watch Girls Go By
- Martin Denny - The Enchanted Isle
- Yma Sumac - Gopher
- The BongolianB-Boy - Toga Party
- Los Bitchos - The Link Is About To Die
- Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - The Lonely Bull (El Solo Toro)
- Michael Giacchino, Nouvelle Modernica Orchestra - Sidereal Day: 3 (Instrumental)
- Mel Torme - Sunshine Superman
- Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Mais Que Nada (Ma-sh Kay Nada)
- Lalo Schifrin - Lalo's Bossa Nova (Samba Para Dos)
- Quincy Jones - Black Orpheus = Manha De Carnaval
- Les Baxter, 101 Strings Orchestra - Tropicando
- Pizzicato Five - 皆笑った = They All Laughed
- Alain Goraguer - Les Hommes - Le Grande Co-existence
- Hugo Montenegro And His Orchestra - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Mort Garson, The Lords of Percussion - Geisha Girl
- Arthur LymanQuiet Village - 03:47
- Les Baxter And His Orchestra - Voodoo Dreams
- Cal Tjader - The Lady is a Tramp
- Martin Denny - The Enchanted Sea
- ÌxtahueleMareld - 2021
- Keith Mansfield - Morning Broadway
- Mel Torme - Comin' Home Baby
- Dave Pike - Sweet Tater Pie
- Jack Trombey - Underlay No 3
- Don Sebesky - Guru-Vin
- The Mohawks - Beat Me Till I'm Blue
- Brian Bennett & Alan Hawkshaw - Mermaid
- Sheila - Bang Bang